A. 周五圆石蟹宴晚餐 B. 周六东航飞行中心(人数待定) C. 周六滴水洞晚餐 D. 周日Jean Georges早午餐(待定)
The Official Fall 2011 China DO Thread
The chance to see Shanghai (AKA Paris of the East) with your fellow FlyerTalkers/FlyerTeas!
As you may have noticed from an earlier thread, we are trying to setup a China DO in Shanghai in fall of 2011 but as always picking a date that is agreeable with the most people is not always easy. We have been chatting with folks on our Chinese FT equivalent ‘FlyerTea’ and would like to see if we could pick a date and schedule that would help cross cultural lines and facilitate our common bonds - the thirst for miles/points and status at the lowest price.
One problem as always is to pick a date that hovers around a US/CAN holiday period that would increase the attendance of the folks from North America. In order to allow for adequate planning time on both the part of the organizers and attendees we have chosen two possible dates:
7 - 10 October 2011 (Columbus Day Weekend in US, Thanksgiving Day Weekend in CAN)
11-14 November 2011 (Veteran's Day Weekend in US, Remembrance Day Weekend in CAN)
Whichever one gets the most votes, if you are a poor working slob, you may have to take a couple of days off of the job but we are going to try and make it worth your while. How else are you going to get the opportunity to get an overview of one of China's largest cities with a group of folks that have a common interest.
Which ever weekend gets selected the plan for an agenda will basically be the same:
• Friday - Some sort of overview tour of Shanghai during the day for the foreigners and maybe meet up with some of our FlyerTea friends who’s not busy MRing during the Chinese National golden week holiday (Oct 1-7). That night a social hour (or so)and a family style dinner at a place to be chosen. (and yes we will try to adapt to various dietary restrictions and peculiarities)
• Saturday - Once again a tour option but this one tailored to entertain the interest of our FlyerTea friends and the FlyerTalk types. That night once again a social hour (or two) and a family style dinner at a place to be chose later.
• Sunday - Kind of open but if enough folks were interested we could setup something from a tour or just a get together for Dim Sum or the likes. The real issue here is are folks going to want to fly home on Sunday or Monday. Let's stay flexible
- People can come in earlier or leave later (such as I will be doing). If we ended up using group rate, the rate will be honored as well
- Air fare discount will be offered depends on the number of positive responses
- Optional 1-2 days trip to other cities using the fast train. We’ll see how many people will want to do that and what city. I certainly want to
- Staying together at 1 host hotel is recommended but not mandatory for easier logistics and we can socialize. We will see if we can get some sort of concession from the big names after we see what hotel alliances folks are dedicated to.
Now for the big question - ARE YOU INTERESTED and if so which weekend would you prefer/be able to attend? Also which hotel chain is your preference?
Please post your thoughts and let's get this firmed up, and do check back often for updates as the things develop.
Example of response:
Attendance: Definite/Probable/Interested (pick 1)
# of attendees:
Other Suggested activities:
*** This DO is the brainchild of Spaceman, advocated and supported by NYC101, UpgradedFirst, and TravellerOnline(Our FlyerTea Liaison).